For my dad’s birthday, I decided to give this matcha recipe from allrecipes one more try. I decided to do the matcha cake again for the following reasons.
- I still had green tea powder left
- We were going to a Japanese restaurant (Rakuzen@Tampines) for his birthday dinner and a matcha cake would be in line with the cuisine
- I wasn’t totally satisfied with the one I did for Nami’s birthday. I felt that the green tea flavour was not strong enough and it was much too sweet for my liking. So this time, I drastically reduced the sugar and increased the amount of green tea powder.
The result: Yumz!! I enjoyed the cake a lot, which I was surprised, cos I seldom enjoy cake so much. I have more of a savoury rather than sweet tooth. I also like eating it as a loaf cake without any icing.
Here is the revised recipe which is certainly a keeper and one which I will use again! The method remains the same.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 teaspoons green tea powder (up from the original 4)
- 3/4 cup white sugar (down from original 1 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
For the icing, I also adjusted the amounts slightly as I did not need so much since I would not be doing a layered cake. I also wanted it less sweet with a stronger green tea flavour.
- 1 teaspoon vanila extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-3 teaspoon green tea powder
- 1 table spoon butter
- 2 ounce cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon milk